Saturday, January 13, 2018

Rota Spain……A Hidden Jewel

             Time as flown since returning to the United States after living and working in Saudi Arabia for over four years. I realized after coming across some old photos that I had a few more overseas adventures in me that although dated, I need to post to my blog. I also decided that all my adventures didn’t have to have taken place abroad, but I could also share some of my escapades and experiences in the Americas as well. So, after almost a two-year hiatus, I hope to regain some of my followers who have written me that they enjoyed my journey through my blog as I travelled throughout the continent of Asia and Africa. So, without further ado, here goes and I hope that you continue to follow me through GMarie’s Page.

Being a Navy vet, I was never fortunate to receive orders to Naval Station Rota which is the first and last port of call for U.S. naval vessels after leaving the Mediterranean Sea. So, it just so happens that I was able to visit through a work assignment. Though I would only be passing through this hidden treasure as a fuel stop for the C17 aircraft I was traveling on, I would have to make the best of the 36-hour layover.
Upon landing, and catching a cab to the hotel, I quickly drop of my baggage and some colleagues and I started our exploration of Rota which is in the Province of Cadiz. Rota has a population of about 30,000, and encompasses an area of approximately 32 square miles.
Rota is an ideal town to view on foot. Along our route, we came across a retired Navy Master Chief who saw us roaming in and out of side streets and offered to give us a tour of this quaint town. As we walked along the seemingly many narrow streets our gracious host informed us that Rota was his last duty station and he and his wife decided to make this their retirement home being that his wife was from Spain. He was so full of information and told us many stories of his travels throughout Spain. 


As we walked through the center of the town, we came across many interesting shops. Not too many people were around but those we did encounter were super friendly and laid back. Everyone seemed to know their neighbors, so you did see most would stop on the sidewalk to talk.  We walked to the Castilo de Luna and sat at the patio while we drank our beverages. The place had an old town medieval atmosphere

Though it was chilly, we did go walking along the waterfront boardwalk. The boardwalk was exploratory trail that wind through nature one minute and very close to the roaring Atlantic Ocean the next. 
As the afternoon turned into evening, Rota’s streets were swarming with folks after Siesta (around 6 or 7pm) who were on their way to the cafes and restaurants. But you really get a sense of how Rota really is after 10pm. The bars are buzzing with the locals and tourists.   

I really enjoyed the short hiatus in Rota Spain sporting it beautiful beaches in a small place but big family friendly atmosphere!

All the best,
GMarie

No comments:

Post a Comment