Saturday, February 25, 2012

My First Sand Storm!

Februay 25, 2012     

      Today started off with an overcast; partly sunny but the weather was nice and warm. By 4pm, I looked outside my office window and realized the sky was bright orange and the visibility was next to none! I grabbed my camera, ran to the front door, opened it and found it hard to comprehend what was going on. We were in the middle of a sand storm and everything around us was really bright orange! It was so amazing! Our cars were covered with sand and the feeling of grit in my eyes and my mouth forced us back indoors.


      Sandstorms, also called dust storms, are caused by convection currents which are created by intense heating of the ground. When air is heated it is unstable and causes a mixture of high winds. No matter how closed up a building or car is, the sands finds its way inside. Before I left work at 5pm, my desk was covered with a film of dust! Sand storms can cause cough, allergic reactions and is capable of carrying infectious diseases so most people of this region, during these conditions, where a mask to protect their nose and mouth.


I tell you, there is hardly ever a dull moment in the “Kingdom.”


All the best,
GMarie


No comments:

Post a Comment