Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Finally Played 18 Holes of Golf!

 February 29, 2012    

     Today, Jay called and made reservations so that he could take me out to the golf course.  This would be my first time playing 18 holes of golf. So with clubs in hand and nervous anticipation we headed to Arizona Golf Club. At Hole No. 1, which was Par 4 (pre-determined number of strokes that a golfer should require to complete a hole), I set my ball on the tee and commence to drive it down the fairway (247 yards) as straight as I could with my driver (used for teeing off). The ball went way off to the right! Yep, I was off to a rough start, but I didn’t get too discouraged.


      Throughout the game, I mostly used my hybrid 5 iron (used for getting shots of 150+ yards airborne), my sand wedge (used for hitting short, high shots from near the green or from sand bunkers) and of course my putter (it rolls the ball into the hole after it’s on the green). With three (3) double bogeys (two strokes over par on a hole) and four (4) triple bogeys (three strokes over par on a hole) and the balance being (+1) or bogey, my final score was 97, not bad for a beginner!


      Arizona Golf Club opened in 1994 and is located on a compound enclosed within a high perimeter fence. It is a 9 holes course and it is not unusual to see gazelle and deer watching you play golf. There is a clubhouse, pro shop, riding stable, bowling alley and petting zoo.



      A perfect finish after playing 18 holes was an early dinner at the restaurant, which is walking distance from the golf course. The special on Fridays is the rotisserie chicken; finger licking good! The Saudi champagne (made with 6 juiced lemons, caster sugar, 2 apples sliced, 2 oranges sliced, apple juice, sparkling water, and mint leaves bunch), is a great compliment to the meal. The sun was setting during the drive back to the base, which concludes another beautiful day in the “Kingdom”, Saudi Arabia!


All the best,
GMarie





No comments:

Post a Comment