Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dirab Golf and Country Club, Riyadh Saudi Arabia

November 8, 2011
My friend Jay asked me last evening if I would like to go golfing with him and a buddy in the morning. I saw this as an opportunity to get off the compound as well as get some insight on the game of golf. I was asked by my sponsor before I arrived in the Kingdom if I knew how to play golf and if not I should consider taking it up as a hobby. So at 0700 hours we headed to Dirab Golf and Country Club which is about an hour west of Riyadh.

The views were absolutely beautiful! Picture this; the golf course was surrounded by mountains in a distance and from the sun’s reflection, they appeared to be just like the sand,…red clay in color. There were eucalyptus trees that really set the tone of the grounds for this course; tranquil and green, really!  Not exactly what I would expect in a desert!


Dirab Golf and Country Club is one of the two grassed 18 hole courses in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and nestled in picturesque Tawfiq valley. The course offers a driving range, putting greens and a Golf academy. Nine of the eighteen holes is floodlit for night time golfing. The club also offers tennis, swimming and horse-back riding activities as well.
I can certainly see after today, all of the hype related to golf, especially when I start recalling how folks talk about the beauty of certain courses they have played in different regions. The guys played 18 holes and after about 4 hours, the final score was Tony, 86 and Jay, 79.


All the best,
G.Marie